Wednesday 17 March 2010

The Greatest Tiger-Cats of My Lifetime: #8

#8: Tony Champion







Point blank, Tony Champion made the greatest catch I have ever seen a player for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats make, and that is the sole reason that he made my list. Champion will forever be remembered for his catch in the 77th Grey Cup against the Saskatchewan Roughriders. The Cats would go on to lose that game 43-40 at the SkyDome in Toronto, but Champion's is catch the stuff of legend. Champion contorted himself into a human pretzel to make the grab. Would it make it even more special if I told you he made the catch with broken ribs? While I'd love to show you a video of Champion's catch, the only one I could find was a terrible video of someone taping the catch with a camcorder off the TV. If a better video ever surfaces I will post it immediately.

As I said, that catch alone is the reason he made my list, but that was hardly Champion's only contribution to the Tiger-Cats during a fabulous 8-year career. Champion was a two-time All Star, and he was the runner-up for the CFL's Most Outstanding Player award in 1989. He owns the team record for receiving TDs in a season with 15 (which he set in 1989), and he was a member of the 1986 Grey Cup championship team.

All added up, it is unquestionable that Tony Champion deserves a spot in the Top 10. On this list he comes in at #8.

PREVIOUS: Mike Morreale (#9)

No comments:

Post a Comment