Sunday 6 June 2010

News From Around the League

I know I'm a little late with some of this, but it's been a busy day, so bear with me.

Last night (while I was sleeping nicely), the Tiger-Cats signed Defensive End Stan van Sichem, and this morning (also while I was sleeping) the team signed Running Back Demetris Summers and Defensive Back Martin Manson. I don't know much about any of the three players. I know Summers was on the 2008 Calgary Stampeder team that won the Grey Cup, and van Sichem was traded this past off-season to Winnipeg, one-for-one, for Gavin Walls. Good luck to all three of them in their attempt to stick in Hamilton.

All of this was undercut today by the announcement that long-time Alouettes centre Brian Chiu has decided to retire. Chiu was a stalwart for the Als for over a decade, and he is the first of what I call "The Big 4" (Chiu, Quarterback Anthony Calvillo, Slotback Ben Cahoon and Defensive End Anwar Stewart, the four players who have been with Montreal during their decade of dominance) to decide to hang up the cleats.

This is a surprising development. While Chiu's best days were behind him, and while I felt that this upcoming season would be Chiu's last, I never expected that on the day that training camp opened, Chiu would decide to call it a career. Brian Chiu was a class act, and he deserves to go out whichever way he chooses. Congratulations on a great career.

No comments:

Post a Comment