Saturday 21 August 2010

Morning Afternoon-After Thoughts (Week 8)

Bye weeks suck. There, I said it. I understand why they have them. For the players, they get some much-deserved rest for their bruised and battered bodies. For the league, they get an extra week of television revenue. For fans like me who can't get enough of the CFL, it just sucks.
  1. I think every CFL fan would agree that the biggest news this weekend came out of Montreal. Anthony Calvillo, from most reports, has a bruised sternum and will miss anywhere from two to four weeks. While I never wish injury on any player, Calvillo's being sidelined does open up the East Division to both the Argonauts and the Tiger-Cats. This could make the East Division the most interesting it has been for some time.
  2. When it was announced that Avon Cobourne would miss this week's game, little-known Brandon Whittaker was thrust into a meaningful role. He scored TDs in the fourth quarter to seal the win, and played well when needed after Calvillo went down.
  3. Each week, S.J. Green continues to impress me. It all started with his one-handed beauty in the season opener in Regina, and every week he continues to improve. He scored two TDs this week on three catches. If this guy isn't a star yet, he will be very soon.
  4. I think a lot of the blame for what has gone wrong for Winnipeg can be placed on injuries. As much as I like Steven Jyles, Buck Pierce was pegged as the starting Blue Bomber QB from the day he signed, so his loss has been significant because it changes what the offense does. Rookie sensation Terrence Jeffers-Harris was well on his way to being named Most Outstanding Rookie, but injuries have forced him out of the lineup. Those are just two of the key players that Winnipeg needs to get this season back on track.
  5. It seems that every week there is a Receiver on one of the eight teams that forgets how to catch the football. This week it was Adarius Bowman. Those two drops were huge, especially the first one, which probably would have gone for a TD.
  6. After what he did to Agustin Barrenechea, I have lost all respect for Lin-J Shell. To spit in another man's face is absolutely disgusting. Shell should be fined and suspended for it. Despicable.
  7. Jim Barker has had a very good second tour of duty as the Argonauts Head Coach, but what the heck was he thinking when he challenged the spot on what would have been 3rd and inches? Not only does he know that it was non-reviewable, but picking up half a yard in the CFL is almost a gimme. The call cost the Argos ten yards, and on the ensuing FG attempt, Argo Kicker Grant Shaw hoofed the ball into the butt of the Centre. From 3rd and inches to nothing, all because Barker didn't like the spot. Terrible.
  8. I don't know about you, but I wasn't sure if the game was being played in Toronto or Hamilton. After the Cats scored to take the lead, the stadium formerly known as the SkyDome was the loudest I have heard since Hulk Hogan fought The Rock at WrestleMania X-8. It felt like a Tiger-Cat home game. It was phenomenal. Kudos to all those who made the trek down the QEW.
  9. I like Dylan Barker; it's a point that I have made abundantly clear. For the second time this season (the first came against Saskatchewan) Barker dropped an easy INT. He will never get a gift like he got when Lemon tossed one up to no one. I guess that's why Barker plays Safety and not Receiver.
  10. UN-DE-FEAT-ED! OK, so it was only two games, but I was 2 for 2 in my picks this week, winning with both Montreal and Hamilton. That puts my season mark at 15-15. I have climbed up to .500 for the season, with a chance next week to get above the hump for the first time this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment