Saturday 27 November 2010

Smitty's Selection: Grey Cup

Well here we are, the end. After 19 regular-season weeks, two weeks of playoffs and 76 games in total, we are one game away from the end of the 2010 CFL season. A season filled with plenty of ups and downs, but a fun one nonetheless. Two teams remain, but only one can be called champion.

98th Grey Cup: Montreal vs. Saskatchewan

We all remember last year, don't we? No time left on the clock, Montreal's Damon Duval lining up for the game-winning field goal, it sails wide, Riders win... except there is a flag. We all know how it ended. I can't think of a worse way to lose a championship than the way that Saskatchewan lost last year. After Duval missed that kick, elation reigned supreme on the Roughriders's bench. For that split second they believed that they had won the 97th Grey Cup. Then to lose it just seconds later because of a too-many-men penalty must have been heartbreaking. That said, it seems rather karmic that the Riders would lose because of the 13th man.

Well, 2010 is not 2009, and while I expect a hard-fought affair, I can't see this one coming down to a last kick. I have flip-flopped all week on who to pick, my want for Montreal to win (I really hate Rider fans) against my gut saying that Saskatchewan will win. My gut has not been wrong too often this season, but it hasn't been perfect either. With it being time to go on the record, I'm going to ignore my gut for the first time all season.

Winner: Montreal, 37-28

Recap
Montreal

Season Record: 39-37

No comments:

Post a Comment