Wednesday 10 November 2010

Ti-Cats Unveil Their Stadium Plans

I said awhile ago that I would stop talking about the Pan Am Stadium. To be perfectly honest, I was sick of reading about it, of hearing about it, and of feeling like I had to write about it. So I imposed a moratorium on stadium topics on myself.

Well, I will break that today, as the Hamilton Tiger-Cats have unveiled their plans for the proposed stadium at the Aberdeen and Longwood location.

I'm not going to get into whether I like it or not. To be perfectly honest, I don't really care what the facility looks like as long as it has seats, a field and sight lines that don't mimic the Rogers Centre SkyDome. That's all I need to enjoy a football game. I just want this whole mess to be sorted out once and for all.

If this design works for the team (which it obviously does) and it works for the city, then let's get this puppy built and put this whole nasty mess behind us once and for all.

I will say, it's kind of a cool-looking design. But that's all I'm going to say on the matter. Moratorium back on.

4 comments:

  1. My only comment (and I'm well aware this is still only conceptual): where would they put the temporary stands to expand seating for Grey Cup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you heard Bob Young on Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown, but he said that this is purely conceptual, and that this was more about putting a footprint on the land than laying out the exact look of the stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, but my comment wasn't about the look, but the footprint. If that's the orientation of the field that they're looking at, it will limit where and how many temporary seats can be added.

    Besides, I think having the open ends more east-west would be better for other reasons as well - view of the city from the stands, CWHM fly-overs, prevailing winds...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob Young was VERY adamant that hosting Grey Cups is a must, so there will be a way to expand, whatever that may be. I guess we'll have to wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete