Sunday 5 June 2011

Porter Changes Tune

I was fairly hard on Quinton Porter when he said that he "need[ed] more chances to start" when talking to a Portland, Maine newspaper.

I thought that Porter was rather delusional to think that he should be starting ahead of Kevin Glenn. I also thought that after the season that Glenn had in 2010, it was very disrespectful of Porter to imply that he should be above Glenn on the depth chart. I stand by those criticisms, and I do not think I was out of line in what I said at the time.

However, it seems as if Porter is changing his tune, slightly. He recently told Mark Master of the National Post that he needs to "quit complaining" about his position and just play the game. He still wants to be a starter, but he seems to understand where he stands currently with the Ti-Cats.

The main thing I take away from this is that Porter seems to be taking the next step in his maturation process. His physical tools were always there, but I often wondered about his mental makeup. It seems as if he has grown exponentially over the off-season, and perhaps he is ready to take that next step needed to compete at the highest of levels.

He says he doesn't want to be a career backup, and I have no problem with him saying that, because it shows that he wants to excel. Porter has all the tools to dominate, and I have all the faith in the world that he will one day excel tremendously in the CFL. I just hope when he does, he does so in Black & Gold.

1 comment:

  1. I was glad to read that too.

    And hey, Danny Mac didn't become a starting QB until he was 29, after serving as a backup on two different teams. We all know how that turned out for him.

    Porter now needs to show that his grasp of the game has advanced, just like his grasp of his role on the team.

    ReplyDelete