Wednesday 29 June 2011

TSN's Top 50 Current Players

I finally got around to watching the highly scrutinized list of TSN's top 50 players. With all the hubbub over the list, I expected to eviscerate the list myself, but while there are some serious flaws with it, it wasn't that bad.

But there were some flaws.

The first flaw was how the list was compiled. I didn't like it. The idea that players were picked based on right now didn't make any sense. How can you judge someone without taking into consideration past performance or future projections? It just didn't make much sense.

They set out the rules, but there were still plenty of noodle scratchers. Cory Boyd is the fourth-best player after one season? Chad Owens is the eleventh-best player after one season? But Fred Stamps is only the thirtieth-best player after his years of greatness? That needs to be explained to me.

Speaking of making no sense, on what planet, right now, is Darian Durant the third-best player in the league? And how in the hell is Kevin Glenn only 17th, and ranked behind Ricky Ray? Look, I like Ray, but right now, Kevin Glenn is better than Ray.

Now, the list did have some positives.

Markeith Knowlton as the top Defensive player is perfect. No one is more important on the defensive side of the ball, so his tenth-place finish is fitting.

Anthony Calvillo at #1 was a no-brainer. As was Henry Burris at #2. You can't really debate either of those picks.

So the list was flawed, but not horrendous. These lists are subjective, and they are put out to spur debate. So with me writing this, I guess they accomplished their goal.

So what do you think? What did you agree with? What did you disagree with? If the point is to start a debate, I'd love to hear what anyone out there has to say, so have at it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your assessment of Durant haha. I can tell you one thing for sure, if this list was compiled in Regina, there's no way he makes it that high.... maybe not even top 10. He is, without a doubt, a great quarterback, but there is no way on earth he's the 3rd best player in this league. Heck, he may not even be the 3rd best player on his team.

    ReplyDelete